Lamborghini Forum & Photo Gallery - Talk Lambo!

Lamborghini Forum & Photo Gallery - Talk Lambo!

Go Back   Lamborghini Forum & Photo Gallery - Talk Lambo! > Other Vehicles and Luxury Goods > Business Chat

Business Chat Discussion of business-related topics

Old 06-21-2011

notanid10t is an up and coming TL member!
Default Advice wanted...

I have an opportunity for the next year in which I can move, get established, trained and start a new profession if I so desire. If you were me, what would you do if you could chuck it all and start all over?

My background of work experience -

20 years computer support ranging from desktop to server and some LAN - mostly Windows-based system.

significant computer hardware training and experience

Education -

a couple of years college in the Systems and Network Administration areas

Desires -

I want to live somewhere where snow is a foreign language and the only ice you get is in your glass.

A career in which I can take my previous education\experience and build upon it if at all possible.

Make a good enough living to feel comfortable and not live paycheck to paycheck.

IF you were me and had a year to get the training, move (if needed), get established and get hired, what would you do?

-->
Old 06-21-2011
Multi-Lambo Owner

Kaoss is gaining rep quite quickly!Kaoss is gaining rep quite quickly!

I'd take control of my destiny and do something about it. You can live to work or work to live...if you don't love what you're doing you'll always live paycheck to paycheck and it won't matter where you call home. A year for training is a very long time...Make sure it's something you want to do. You can always move back to where you are from...but with 20 years experience in the computer biz, if that is accurate, seems like a very youthful question to be asking in a public forum. Tech jobs are everywhere, and pay very well.

-->
Old 06-21-2011

I am just trying to see if anyone can think of options I haven't already thought of previously. I know I can be a computer geek...errr...tech virtually anywhere.

I have the opportunity to start anew and just do not want to mess things up this time around.

-->
Old 06-23-2011
Multi-Lambo Owner
Ex-Gwagen Owner
Spammer Deleter & Distributor of 0wnage
Margarita Connoisseur

pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!pdisme has crazy rep son!
Send a message via AIM to pdisme Send a message via Yahoo to pdisme

I wouldn't do any of that; I'd use that year brainstorming on businesses you could start on the side while you have some free time and put one or two to work and see what happens. If you truly want to get ahead, no fun working for 'the man'.

-->
Old 06-23-2011

Thank you for the tip. I have been running a tech support side business halfheartedly while I went back to school the last couple of years. I just didn't want to attempt to get it really going while I am taking classes full-time. If it really takes off or gets busy, I could not have enough time to do homework/studying and I want to keep my 4.0GPA.

I am using my disability income (shattered ankle) and grants to get by but the disability ends in Aug 2012. Now you can understand the self imposed one year time limit.

I wonder what my clients would think if I showed up in my NSX...

-->